Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Cheating Hyena In Sheep's Skin


There's a dishonest Indian guy in True Fit Tailoring & Emb. tailoring shop near where I live in Abu Shagara, Sharjah. Whenever I need some trousers or shirt altered, I go to that shop. Today, I had two sleeveless blouses that needed alteration. The manager was there and I was quoted properly (at Dhs 5 a piece) and given a receipt.

The first time I went there was May this year. I asked how much they charge to alter clothes and this Indian guy said Dhs 5 per piece. I went back after probably a month and a half with four pairs of trousers. When I was about to pay, he said it was changed to Dhs 10 each. So, I tried to negotiate and we reached Dhs 7 each. I paid it in full and asked for a receipt. He said he can't give me one. I asked him how was I supposed to claim my trousers without a receipt? So, he gave me a business card and wrote that I fully paid for the four trousers and I could claim after 2 days. I insisted on getting a copy of the receipt but he said I'll get one when I claim the trousers. I came back after two days, got my trousers and asked for a receipt. This time, he said first-time customers don't get a receipt. What the fudge is that??

Well, the second time I needed trousers altered, my friend and I connived to outsmart this Indian guy. We both went to the shop but she came in alone and empty. I waited outside with the items. Sure enough, the Indian guy quoted alterations at Dhs 5 per piece. Then she got the trousers from me, came back in and paid in full. Oh, how sweet!

The next time I had trousers for alteration again, it was my friend who went there. When she goes there, she's not being overcharged...and she gets a receipt!

I suspect that, that Indian guy overcharges people when he is alone in the shop. The first time I had my trousers altered, he was alone. Just today, when I came in he was with the owner.

Tsk, tsk. To think that the Muslims' holy month of Ramadan just finished. Had he instantly forgotten to be good? Next time I come in there, I'll only give my items when there are other people around.

No comments: